How to celebrate World Environment Day?
Small actions that you can take with people around you to celebrate World Environment Day on 5th June
World Environment Day (WED) is an annual awareness day celebrated on June 5. It was established by the United Nations Environment Programme in 1972, as the first official UN-wide environment awareness day. Its objective is to bring attention to issues of concern for all people concerning the environment, not just specialists.
We often take our environment for granted until it’ll hits us and break our hearts with its polluted state. But environment day is a good reminder that we have responsibilities towards nature and should live in harmony with our environment.
How can we ensure care and work towards our environment? How do we make time for nature during our busy lives? Here’s how you can celebrate World Environment Day.
Simple ways to celebrate World Environment Day at Home
The best place to start an environment day celebration is at home. Here are 3 simple things you can do:
- Turn off lights
This is a simple change that can save a ton of money and also have an impact on the environment. Electricity is produced from burning fossil fuels, which releases CO2 into the atmosphere. The more electricity we use, the more CO2 is released. When you’re not using lights, appliances, or other items that require electricity, turn them off! The amount of energy saved by doing this is minimal, but it all adds up.
- Grow a garden
Many people don’t realise that growing your own vegetables is one of the most effective ways to reduce your carbon footprint. Vegetables are a great source of nutrients, but they also require lots of fertilisers and pesticides to grow, which pollute the soil and nearby water sources. Growing your own vegetables doesn’t just benefit the environment, it’s also a great way to save money too!
- Water your plants
Do not let all vegetable plants dry out if you are going on a trip. If a plant is being unwatered due to your absence, check it every day and water it as soon as you see it droop. You can use a timer or a moisture sensor to avoid forgetting to water the plants while you are gone.
How can you involve family members in the celebration?
- Take your kids out on a nature walk and teach them how each leaf and flower is important.
- Visit a nature park, botanical garden, or zoo to get an idea of animal habitats and learn more about different species.
- Plant a tree or a garden as it is a great way of celebrating World Environment Day.
- Teach your kids to recycle and reuse items. Tell them the importance of conserving natural resources.
How can you involve friends?
- Organize a clean-up drive in your area. Participate in parks or beach clean-ups.
- Organize an awareness walk or a rally to spread the message of conservation and protection of our environment.
- Join hands with other organizations and hold a public event on World Environment Day.
How can you celebrate World Environment Day at work?
- Educate employees about the need for sustainable supply chains and work towards positive environmental change.
- Reduce the use of paper and printer consumables.
- Promote carpooling and public transportation.
- Encourage employees to use renewable energy sources like solar power and hydroelectricity.
- Use less plastic and recycle the plastic that you use.
Steps to get your community involved in environmental action
While individual action is essential, group action is what brings true change. SO get the people around you moving and create a greater impact by getting your community to celebrate World Environment Day.
- Choose a specific cause that you want to support on World Environment Day, and make it a yearly commitment. Make sure that the cause you choose is within your capabilities and that it resonates with your organisation.
- Invite members of your community to come together and discuss their views on the environment.
- Offer support to organisations that are already working on conservation projects.
- Spread awareness about the issues that your cause is trying to solve.
- Be a positive example for others, and encourage others to take their own small steps towards bettering the environment.
- Take action when you see a problem within your community that needs to be fixed.
- Be a leader and take responsibility for your actions towards the environment.
What is the significance of World Environment Day?
The significance of WED is that it is a day that encourages people to get involved in their communities and be more aware of the environment. It is also a day that helps people understand the importance of trees in our lives and their importance with regard to our environment.
Celebrate WED because it can prevent and reduce pollution and encourage a healthy way of living. It teaches us to respect nature and take care of our environment.
World Environment Day encourages people to take small steps towards bettering the environment.
So take small actions this world environment day and keep them growing each day to see positive change around you. Care for the environment starts at home.
Sanjoli is currently working as a Content Strategist and has a Master’s degree in Fashion Journalism. She has contributed to publications like MensXP, Mindless Mag and Sustain: The Mag in the past. Conscious Charcha is her way of learning more about sustainability and spreading the word about a sustainable lifestyle.